Kara in Egypt

Thursday, December 22, 2005

This One’s for You Mom/ The Christmas Tree Hunt

Since we were children my Mom has always requested that we have some sort of tree at Christmas time wherever we might be. In each of our rooms we would have a tree decoration or miniature. When we were small children we had a ‘children’s tree’ full of our handmade and toy ornaments upstairs in the living room, and the ‘official’ Christmas tree downstairs. Amidst all of the boxes and bags of decorations that were carted out from the basement each year was always a small aluminum and turquoise foil tree that my parents bought for one of their first Christmases together (I believe that’s how the story goes.) Purchased at Eatons or Zellers or some other department store the metal pole that stands all of two or three feet would inevitably be poked with the metal skewers, aka branches, with turquoise aluminum foil adorning each. Inexpensive Christmas balls were set upon it, and one room would be ‘graced’ with its presence for the holiday season.

I have been searching Cairo and Aswan for the appropriate tree for my apartment for the past week or so. I spent a few days in Cairo before attending the quasi-annual CIDA meetings in Ismailia, near the Suez Canal, last week. There are few reminders of the Christmas season in Aswan right now as it is primarily Muslim and also because the Coptic Christmas does not happen until January 7, so I was happy to see a few Santa Claus decorations and holiday cheers around the capital. I found a small Christmas tree that resembled the small one belonging to my parents so long ago. I even asked to see it, and the kind employee went out to the display window to retrieve it for me. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, it did not disassemble and I was left to continue my search for the perfect tree.

Surrounding my building there are a number of palm trees. My neighbour has claimed a few as his own, and I have been fortunate to enjoy some of their dates. I wondered if he and his family would be willing to string a few lights or decorations from its lofty fronds? Haha Last night though I was wandering through the market after work, waiting for a meeting at 7pm, when I saw one small stationary shop with a few Christmas decorations hanging from its ceiling. I decided to take a closer look, secretly hoping there would be my tree for me to retrieve. I was greeted by a hearty ‘Merry Christmas’ from the Muslim shop owner, and I was happy to return the familiar greeting I haven’t heard much of lately. (Thank goodness no one has discovered the tradition of mistletoe here. It’s already a gauntlet walk down the market streets without more attempts for attention.) I left the shop with the below pictured tin-foil folding Christmas tree, purchased for 10 L.E. (about $2) – perhaps a bit more than someone else would pay, but worth it for me. And the best part about it? It folds up neatly, making it compact enough to slip into my suitcase for the journey back to Canada. So, if I ever do end up having a family of my own this gawdy Christmas decoration will inevitably find its way into some small corner or entryway to remind me of my first Christmas away from home and my first Christmas in Egypt.

I had considered working through the holidays, but after a few key conversations decided it is not a holiday to be forgotten or ignored. So, I am headed to Cairo on the overnight train tonight. From there I am headed to Tanta, a small town between Cairo and Alexandria, to celebrate with some international volunteers I believe (I’m not entirely sure), then back to Cairo for Christmas dinner with the wonderful R-B family. I’ll be thinking of home, but enjoying the adventure, and send warm wishes for a wonderful holiday!
Merry Christmas! Happy New Year! Happy Holidays to all!

2 Comments:

At 1:50 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kara,

I chanced upon your blog again during downtime at work! I am very encouraged by all of the positive things you have been doing. Maybe you can stop by Geneva after Egypt while en route to Canada? Hehe - that's just a thought. Happy New Year!

Ethel :)

PS. It was good to see pictures of you and Hasaan -- good times, good times.

 
At 1:57 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home