My Apartment. . .(Isn’t that a BNL song?)
. . .
Re: what my place looks like, well, it’s actually quite comfortable/nice – I was afraid of what I would find when I started apartment hunting, but I like what I found. Given the amount of time I spend here I am glad I chose the apartment I did. The balcony is my favourite part. My apartment is far enough from work to feel removed from the main hub of the market, but still within walking distance to return to the center of town whenever I feel like it. Now that it is cooler I have been walking to and from work most days (Cooler is a relative term of course. We just finished a heat wave, which had me craving chilly weather you can put on a hat, mittens and scarf for and enjoy a hot chocolate once cozy inside. You all probably think I’m crazy now since I’ve heard there’s lots of snow in some parts of Canada, but it’s an honest, if somewhat delusional, reaction.). It’s a ½ hour walk along the Nile from my apartment to the market/work. Most mornings I turn my Discman on (both to enjoy the music and to selectively tune out many of the comments I receive) and enjoy the walk. There are a few people I recognize now and say ‘Good morning’ to, or more accurately “Saba’alheer” (sp?), and others who just tend to let me pass. I am still the mystery woman to most. Many have decided I am a teacher or a tour guide. Works for me if it keeps them happy (and quiet! -though it rarely does).
Back to my apartment, of course there are many little reminders that I’m not in the comfort of home, like the lack of hot water and sometimes the lack of water and/or power altogether as the fountains run outside of my apartment building, the broken fridge and shower and the oven that doesn’t seem to want to work (fixed that!), but the view of the Nile makes up for all of these and more, so I am happy. My apartment is at the northernmost end of town, so in addition to the Nile I also have a view of an expanse of palm trees to the North and desert to the East – definitely to my liking. It sounds like this may not last for too much longer though as in speaking with a local shopowner a few times I learned that he is in negotiations with a businessman in Cairo to open a McDonald’s on the corner!?! It looks like there is interest in developing northward, which is exciting for him, but makes me wonder. I am glad I am here sooner instead of later. The light from the small local shops and apartments is much preferred to the fluorescent lights that may not be long in lighting up the night sky. I’m not sure how a McDonald’s would fare here – doesn’t seem to fit, but he believes it will, and I suppose it might. It seems like a risky venture.
As for quotes, right now I only have one poem posted on my wall. It was given to me by Jen at the MEDA Waterloo office during my orientation, and I believe it is particularly fitting for my time here (See next post if you’re interested in the poem). I have been meaning to do some more decorating – including some RTT (Remember the Titans) quotes, of course (and others if you have some to share). My walls are pretty bare right now. I have a string of photos (actually it’s dental floss with clothes pins to keep the pictures in place – classy, eh?) up on my wall (If my Chilean friends happen to be reading this you can rest assured our pic from Japan is up there as promisedJ)., a to-do list, calendar pages for the rest of my time here, the poem and that’s about it.
The ‘pharaonic furniture’ in my ‘entertaining space’ is pretty interesting – blue velvet cushioning with bright gold structure – haven’t seen them in Canada! Other than that there’s nothing too exciting. Actually I’m surprised how long this has taken to write. Didn’t know I could write this much about my apartment.
. . .
To friends and family, You’re all welcome to come visit and see it for yourselves if you’re in the area!

1 Comments:
What a great site Re-approval form for innovative registrar depakote use in children drug weight loss fat women Amateur sites Whirlpool washer lsq8243hq
Post a Comment
<< Home